DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY BLACKHILL BANK PHOTO

History of Consett, Blackhill, Shotley Bridge, Leadgate, Delves Lane, Moorside, Castleside, Rowley, Allensford, Medomsley, Ebchester, Muggleswick, Edmundbyres, Kilnpit Hill, Waskerley and the surrounding areas.

Moderator: yogibear

SPARTYGUSS

DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY BLACKHILL BANK PHOTO

Post by SPARTYGUSS » January 3rd, 2014, 6:57 pm

Hi all,
I am busy researching and looking for all the old training camps of the WW 1 era in our area etc. I have seen pictures of the D.L.I. at Castleside and Lanchester camps. I think there was a training camp at Low Waskerley near Shotley Bridge ? any clues or help out there of camps etc.
This photo may be the Durham Light infantry 6th battalion during or around the WW 1 period,on the way to this training camp at shotley ? Any info on the picture or that building on the right looks like a pub, is the modern picture taken in the correct location on Blackhill bank Durham road ? Any help here would also aid another history forum.
Best regards Guss.
Attachments
dli at blackhill.jpg
Blackhill Bank.jpg

compo

Re: DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY BLACKHILL BANK PHOTO

Post by compo » January 3rd, 2014, 7:51 pm

There was a pub in that vicinity called "The Railway Inn" but known locally as "The Kicking Cuddy". Was definately operating 50 years ago.

GeorgeII

Post by GeorgeII » January 3rd, 2014, 10:08 pm

Hi Guss, as Compo say's, that pub is the Railway Inn, here's a photo of it in the 1930's.

If your not already aware of this site, http://machineguncorps.com/tag/durham-light-infantry-2/ , you may get some useful info?

Good luck.
Attachments
doc 1.jpg

SPARTYGUSS

Post by SPARTYGUSS » January 4th, 2014, 12:36 am

Cheers bud that is a fantastic link had a good read awesome thanks.
Once I get sorted finding these sites and getting permission to detect if possible. I would like to put a video together of the finds along with old WW 1 footage of the D.L.I at home and in the great war to commemorate the centenary.
Will give you a shout for the digs. Do you have any WW I local finds to film.
Best regards Guss.

GeorgeII

Post by GeorgeII » January 4th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I'm glad you found the link useful Guss.

I've got some interesting finds that I made in the 80's & early 90's along with a couple of more recent finds.

I have also got some postcards that I was given in the early 70's by a family friend that had sent them home from the front line trenches.

I'm going to post images of the artefacts on here for the interest of the forum viewers but your very welcome to video them for your project.

SPARTYGUSS

Post by SPARTYGUSS » January 4th, 2014, 11:23 pm

Hi .
I remember you found an old medal over Iveston way I am sure it had the name of the soldier. It would be great if you can remember the name or post picture of the medal. I am sure it was the large bronze one that the families got when a soldier had been lost,god bless. I think it was you that found it but the old detecting club in Consett had many interesting finds found locally. Would like to post pics here in the history section of local finds may get some feedback on our finds relating to Consett and districts Georgian,Victorian,Edwardian past,WW 1, WW2, etc.
Regards Guss.

blackbob

Post by blackbob » January 4th, 2014, 11:41 pm

SPARTYGUSS wrote:Hi .
I remember you found an old medal over Iveston way I am sure it had the name of the soldier. It would be great if you can remember the name or post picture of the medal. I am sure it was the large bronze one that the families got when a soldier had been lost,god bless. I think it was you that found it but the old detecting club in Consett had many interesting finds found locally. Would like to post pics here in the history section of local finds may get some feedback on our finds relating to Consett and districts Georgian,Victorian,Edwardian past,WW 1, WW2, etc.
Regards Guss.
--------------------
Get posting regardless. :good:

GeorgeII

Post by GeorgeII » January 5th, 2014, 12:00 am

Yes Guss that was me that found the Death Plaque (Death Penny) down the track from Iveston to Leadgate, it's the size of a old bin lid. :lolk:

I tried to trace the soldier (George Berry) on line but it was to time consuming.

Did you read the sad news on front of this weeks Advertiser, regarding the tragic death of Mel Bantock, whom was a member of the old Consett Metal Detecting Club.
Attachments
WW1 Death Plaque.jpg

GeorgeII

Post by GeorgeII » January 5th, 2014, 12:25 am

I found this medal in a field at the bottom of Stagshaw Bank near Corbridge.

I've only recently hunted this medal out from within the house, the internet wasn't what it is today the last time I looked at the medal, so haven't even tried to research the soldier, it should be easy with the info on it. :dontknow:
Attachments
Detector Find 1.jpg
Detector Find 2.jpg

GeorgeII

Post by GeorgeII » January 5th, 2014, 1:00 am

This German WW1 medallion I found in Newcastles Leazers Park or that vicinity, back in the 80's.

The reverse inscription translates as;

He who on god has planned
Keeping his sword in hand
He has not built on sand
Attachments
Detector Find 3.jpg
Detector Find 4.jpg